Textile Recycling

Scheduling Note: In the event of inclement weather, textile recycling will follow the same schedule as normal recycling. Stay tuned to our Weather page for details.

The town has partnered with Simple Recycling to provide free, curbside recycling for unwanted clothing, shoes and accessories.

Our goal is to help reduce the amount of textiles sent to the landfill. Only about 15% of textiles are recycled each year, while the remaining 85% (over 20 billion pounds!) is tossed in the trash.

How it Works

  1. Receive the Recycling Bag: If you currently receive recycling service from the Town of Apex, Simple Recycling will send you orange textile recycling bags through the mail, in advance of the December 3rd start date.
  2. Fill the Bag: Put unwanted clothing, shoes, and accessories that otherwise would be thrown in the trash into the orange recycling bag. (We encourage you to continue to donate items in good condition.)
  3. Place the Bag Curbside: By 7 a.m. on your regular recycling day, place the bag curbside (do not place inside your recycling cart) for collection. Simple Recycling drivers will pick up your full bag, and leave a replacement bag tied to your recycling cart handle.

Acceptable Items

All items must be clean and dry:

  • Clothing
  • Coats / Jackets
  • Shoes, boots, sandals
  • Fabric accessories including purses, backpacks
  • Hats, Gloves, Socks, Undergarments
  • Stuffed animals
  • Towels
  • Blankets

Frequently Asked Questions

What happens to the collected clothing and textiles?

Simple Recycling vans pick up your orange bags from the curb and take them to their facility for processing. All of the materials are graded and sorted based upon quality and condition. The top quality materials are resold to thrift outlets, mid grade items are exported to international markets, and "unusable" items are processed for raw materials.

Can Simple Recycling give me a tax receipt?

No, Simple Recycling is a for-profit organization. If your items are in good condition, we encourage you to continue to donate them to your preferred non-profit or charity.

How can I get more bags?
To request additional bags, call Simple Recycling: 866-835-5068, or visit their website and complete a request form.

Can I put the orange bags in my recycling cart?
No, the orange bag filled with clothing and textile discards must be set out separately next to your trash and recycling carts on your regularly scheduled recycling pick up day by 7 a.m.

Does a town vehicle pick up my orange bag?
No, a separate Simple Recycling truck will pick up your orange bag.

Does Simple Recycling take furniture and household appliances?
No, furniture and household appliances are not accepted. If items are still usable, you can contact a local charity to make a donation. For collection of materials other than textiles, please visit our Recycling page.

Does Simple Recycling have a limit on how much they will collect?

No, as long as items are on the list of accepted items, clean and dry, and placed within the orange bags at the curb by 7 a.m. on your regular recycling day, Simple Recycling will pick them up.

Is Simple Recycling a non-profit?
No, Simple Recycling is a for-profit recycling business with a mission to offer residents a simple and easy way to keep usable textile materials out of the landfill.