|Town of Apex Application Process for Solar Panel Installation
(view full instructions for online application submittal at the bottom of this page)
scroll down for instructions on using IDT
Solar energy uses a renewable energy source – the sun – and provides many benefits for individuals and the community. It improves environmental quality by reducing carbon emissions and air pollution, supports hundreds of jobs in North Carolina, saves money on energy costs as the price continues to drop from increasing demand and technological developments, and improves electric grid resilience during peak demand and other stresses to the system.
What's Your Solar Savings Potential?
Finding a Contractor
Find a solar contractor (or two) to assess your home for solar energy and provide a bid. Certified practitioners can be found through NABCEP.
- Choosing a Solar Installer – an informative short video from the GW Solar Institute explaining the questions to ask and research to conduct prior to going solar.
- Consumer Solar Checklist - a checklist for residential consumers considering solar energy from IREC, the Interstate Renewable Energy Council
- Clean Energy Consumer Bill of Rights – ensuring a positive consumer experience by addressing important issues from IREC, the Interstate Renewable Energy Council
- Solar Customer Resource Portal
Financing, Incentives, and Tax Exemptions
- A Homeowner’s Guide to Solar Financing – learn about different financing options from CESA, the Clean Energy States Alliance.
- Rooftop Solar Financing 101 – an informative short video from the GW Solar Institute explaining different solar financing options.
Other Helpful Information
- Solar Energy Booklet - Residential
- Solar Energy Booklet - Business
- North Carolina Solar Policies and Incentives
Roof-top solar panels have been installed on nine town government buildings including Fire Stations and Public Works facilities, providing an annual savings of about $141,000 in electric costs.
Information for Contractors - How to Submit a Solar Application
Register for IDT
Visit the IDT website and click “Sign Up!” in the upper right hand corner to fill out the online registration form. After you submit the form you will receive an activation link in your email. Click this link to activate your registration. You will then receive a second email confirming your acceptance. After this is completed, you will be able to login and access the electronic plan review website.
Upload Your PlansFollow the Instructions for uploading plans to IDT.
If you are not familiar with the procedures for online access to project data, we encourage you to contact IDT with any questions by calling (520) 319-0988 or email IDT Support. They will be happy to provide an online instruction course or provide individual assistance. You can also email Jean Weatherman at the Town of Apex at or call (919) 249-3394.
Thank you for using the Town of Apex’s electronic plan review system!