Small Town - Big Plans
Located in southwestern Wake County, Apex combines a relaxing small-town atmosphere with convenience to big-city amenities. It is positioned for future growth and the town planners are working to ensure that the small-town character remains while allowing for many new residents to join our community.
In 2015, Apex was named the #1 Best Place to Live in America by Money Magazine.
A major streetscape renovation project has restored Apex’s downtown and recaptured its historic flavor. The revitalized downtown is on the National Register of Historic Places as one of the best examples of an intact turn-of-the-century railroad town.
Population & Demographics
For current population information, please see the Apex Development Report (PDF). The following data is from the 2010 US Census Bureau Profile, and the 2006-2010 American Community Survey 5-Year Estimates:
- College Grad (minimum): 58.8%
- Education: (minimum high school) 96%
- Median Age: 31.2 years
- Median Family Income: $95,971
- Per Capita Income: $31,363
Driving Times Within Research Triangle Area
- Cary - 10 minutes
- Chapel Hill - 25 minutes
- Durham - 25 minutes
- Fuquay-Varina - 15 minutes
- Garner - 25 minutes
- Sanford - 25 minutes
- Southern Pines - 35 minutes
- Raleigh - 25 minutes
- Raleigh-Durham Airport - 20 minutes
- Research Triangle Park - 20 minutes
Elevation & Climate
- Average Annual Precipitation: 44.75 inches
- Average Annual Snowfall: 7 inches
- Climate: Mild Humid-Subtropical
- Elevation: 500 feet above sea level
Temperatures throughout the year are as follows:
- January - 40 degrees Fahrenheit
- April - 60 degrees Fahrenheit
- July - 78 degrees Fahrenheit
- October - 60 degrees Fahrenheit
- Raleigh-Durham International Airport (RDU)
We invite you to discover our delightful small town ideally located in southwestern Wake County. Even though new residents relocate to Apex daily, we have maintained the small town character which is so unique in the rapidly-growing Research Triangle Area.
If you are one of our new residents getting settled into our community, or are considering a decision to join those relocating to our area, we hope this information will be helpful and facilitate an easy move to Apex.