Public Transportation Services & Plans
Apex Circulator Study
The Town’s long range transportation plan, Advance Apex: The 2045 Plan, identifies a priority route for a local bus (circulator) along NC 55 between Beaver Creek Commons and Walmart. The Town of Apex, in partnership with the Town of Cary, is working on an implementation study for this priority route. The study will consider: bus schedule, frequency, fare, stop locations, and potential service agreements. The Town of Apex was awarded funding through the Wake Transit Plan to complete this work.
The Apex Circulator Study began in Summer 2019 with targeted completion in Fall 2019.
Your input is important! Check back for project updates and opportunities for engagement.
Sign up to receive email updates regarding this project.
An online survey was conducted through August 9, 2019. Over 450 individuals participated! Online survey results can be viewed here: https://publicinput.com/4750
If you have input on local transit needs or services for the Town of Apex, please send your thoughts by email to Jenna Shouse, Long Range Planner at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Eight pop-up events were held in July along the proposed bus route to gather input on the bus route alignment, schedule, frequency, and fare.
What We've Heard
More than 450 survey responses along with input gathered during pop-up events will inform the Apex Circulator Study. A summary of what we've heard is now available.
Shannon Cox, AICP
Town of Apex, Long Range Planning Manager
GoTriangle – Bus Service
GoTriangle is the regional bus system in Wake County. Two GoTriangle bus routes provide morning and evening week-day service between Apex, Cary, Raleigh, and Durham.
- Route 305 – from Apex through Cary to downtown Raleigh.
- Route 311 – from Apex through Research Triangle Park to the Regional Transit Center at 901 Slater Road in Durham’s Imperial Center.
For more information on bus stops, routes, fares, and schedules visit gotriangle.org or call (919) 485-RIDE.
GoWake Access – Van Reservation Service
Wake County Transit Plan
In 2016 a 10-year vision for enhanced transit across Wake County, the Wake Transit Plan, was adopted. The Wake Transit Plan includes four big moves that will benefit the Town of Apex and the region:
- Big Move 1: Connect Regionally
- Commuter rail from Garner to Durham with stations in Raleigh, Cary and Morrisville
- GoTriangle Express Bus service between Raleigh, RDU Airport, RTP, and Chapel Hill
- Big Move 2: Connect all Wake Communities
- Service to all 12 municipalities in Wake County
- Includes all-day hourly bus service from Apex to Raleigh
- Includes an hourly connection available during mornings and evenings from Holly Springs through Apex to Cary and RTP
- Big Move 3: Frequent, Reliable, Urban Mobility
- Bus Rapid Transit in Raleigh and Cary along New Bern Avenue, Capital Boulevard, South Wilmington Street, and Western Boulevard
- 15-minute, all-day bus service on high-demand routes in Raleigh and Cary
- Big Move 4: Enhance Access to Transit
- Community Funding Areas, like Apex, are eligible to receive matching funding to provide local service
- Additional funding for Wake County TRACS on-demand service
- Investment in better stops, shelters, and access to stop facilities
The Town of Apex is actively participating in the implementation of the Wake County Transit Plan:
- The Town of Apex provides a voting member to serve on the Transit Planning Advisory Committee (TPAC), the technical team charged with implementing the Wake Transit Plan.
- A citizen advisory committee, the Town of Apex Transit Committee, will serve as a liaison between TPAC and the community, and will help to guide the future of transit in Apex by making recommendations regarding transit service to the Town’s Planning Board and Town Council.
- Updates to the Town’s Transit Plan Map were made through the adoption of Advance Apex: The 2045 Transportation Plan
Town of Apex Transit Advisory Committee
The purposes of this committee, composed of citizens and Town staff, are to:
- Make recommendations related to transit needs and services in Apex
- Learn about opportunities for transit associated with the Wake Transit Plan
- Inform the update of the Transit Plan elements of the Town’s Comprehensive Transportation Plan
- Identify stakeholders of transit services and share information
| Committee members include:
|For more information contact Shannon Cox, Long Range Planning Manager, by email or phone at (919) 249-3505.