If you are in anyway exposed to hazardous materials then make sure to follow the provided guidelines in order mitigate damage.
- Identify local media stations used for emergency information.
- Learn hazardous material incident warning signals.
- Know hazardous substances produced, stored or transported in your area.
- Learn shelter-in-place procedures.
- Learn the location of ventilation system shut-offs.
- Repair seals around windows, doors, basements.
- If early chemical accident witness, call emergency services.
- Listen to designated radio/television station, emergency broadcast system; follow emergency instructions immediately.
- Bring household members, pets inside.
- Stay far away from site if possible.
- Keep your body fully covered.
- Avoid eating/drinking anything uncovered.
- Prepare household for a possible evacuation.
- Close all exterior and interior doors, and windows.
If Sheltering At Home
- Turn off ventilation systems, fans, clothes dryer, heating-air conditioning; if possible close fireplace damper.
- Close window curtains, shades, blinds.
- Go to above ground room with fewest windows/doors.
- Bring disaster supplies kit.
- Wet down towels, jam in cracks under doors.
- If possible, tape around doors, windows; block air vents using plastic sheeting/bags.
- Stay inside until radio announces safety or to evacuate.