Community Branding Study
The town has teamed up with Chandlerthinks, a nationally recognized place branding consultant, to engage with Apex residents, business owners, employees, and other stakeholders.
Their goal is to understand what has made Apex who we are today, what sets us apart from our surrounding communities, and how we should tell our story moving forward.
A public contest held in 1970 yielded "The Peak of Good Living" as the Town of Apex’s slogan. The phrase was a nod to our quality of life, as well as the play on the town’s namesake for being the highest point along a 30-mile section of the Chatham Railroad. At the time, our population stood at around 2,200.
Nearly 50 years later, having grown to a town of 55,000 residents, Apex is still fondly and firmly known as "The Peak of Good Living". Our slogan is here to stay! As we plan for the next 50 years, it’s important to understand how our residents, both long-time and new, identify with this statement, and how we can expand upon this sentiment for our businesses, visitors, and other stakeholders.
- Distinct Identity: Identify and promote what makes the Town of Apex distinct and appealing in a regionally‐competitive environment for investors, businesses, retailers, visitors, and residents.
- Community Endorsement: The town brand must be authentic and resonate with citizens, businesses, employees, and community groups within the Town of Apex and throughout the region in order to gain the broadest possible support.
- Flexibility: The brand must be flexible and adaptable in order to meet the needs of a variety of town departments and municipal functions within the Town of Apex, as well as groups and businesses within the overall brand. It must be flexible enough to grow and evolve with any changes in our community.
- Economic Development Promotion: Promote a healthy economy, attract private investment, attract new businesses, and help retain key businesses. A defined message that will market the Town of Apex locally, regionally, statewide, and nationwide as a business-friendly community.
- Deliverables: Research Summary; Brand positioning statement; Graphic mark, with and without tagline; Style Guide with visual and graphic standards; Template samples for letterhead and business cards, web page layout, report covers, brochures, signage, etc.; and Tracking & Measurement Recommendations
Chandlerthinks will work through the next few months on four phases of the community branding process:
Explore (August / September) Research, research, research! Focus groups, interviews, Listenening & Learning Sessions, digital audit, external awareness study, community survey, and more!
Evaluate (September / October) Translating the data gained during the research phase into our community’s story.
Express (October / November) Applying our story to visual components.
Engage (December / January) Providing recommendations for implementation of the brand story and visual components, and tools to measure success.