Connection & Disconnection

Please read the entirety of this page before completing your connection or disconnection form.

Note: A 24 hour notice is required to connect or disconnect utility services.

To Connect Utilities

  • If you are making an in-town move, your new address will have a different account number from your old address.
  • Submitting a utility application for your new address will not disconnect your previous address. You must submit a disconnect request to close the account you are moving from.
  • After submitting your utility application, we will not contact you unless we have problems processing your request or if a deposit is required.
  • A one-time Service Initiation Fee of $15.00 will be added to your first utility bill.

Schedule Connection Opens in new window

To Disconnect Utilities

  • Selling your home? Utility services are usually needed for the final walk-through. Please check with your real estate agent prior to scheduling your disconnection date.
  • If you need to change your disconnection date please call our office at (919) 362-8676. A 24-hour notice is required.
  • Please leave your garbage and recycling containers for the next occupant. A fee is charged for missing containers.
  • Bank Draft Customers: Your final bill payments are not drafted.

Schedule Disconnection Opens in new window

When We Connect

Connection and disconnection of utility services are available Monday through Friday, unless the town is closed for an official holiday.

Utility Services Provided by the Town

The Town of Apex provides electric, water, sewer, garbage, recycling, yard waste, and area light services to most locations inside our town limits. However, there are a few subdivisions that do not have electric service with the Town, such as Waterford Green, Beckett Crossing, Carriage Downs and Sunset Hills.

The Town of Apex also provides electric service to some Cary locations. If you have questions about which utility services the Town provides to your home or business, contact the Utilities and Finance Department at (919) 362-8676.

Limited Services

Examples of limited service areas:

  • Water, Sewer and Recycling Only: Avalon Peaks
  • Water, Sewer, Garbage, Recycling, and Yard Waste Only (no electric): Beckett Crossing, Carriage Downs, Citiside, Colvin Park, Enclave at White Oak Creek, Sunset Hills, Waterford Green and Weddington
  • Electric Only: Bishops Gate, Giverny, Stonecrest, and Weathersby

The list above is not all-inclusive, please call Customer Service at (919) 362-8676 if you have any questions regarding service availability in your area.

Providing Contact Information

The Utilities Department may need to contact you regarding your request for utility services. Please provide a telephone number where you can be reached Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. Failure to provide accurate and complete information may interfere with our ability to complete your request. Please call the Utilities Department at (919) 362-8676 if you have any questions.

Residential Deposits

Depending on your credit history, a deposit may be required. The standard residential deposit is $200 which includes all utility services. For residential water only customers, the deposit is $50.00. Once a utility application has been submitted, we check the applicant’s credit history. If the applicant’s credit history meets our requirements the deposit is waived. If the applicant’s credit history warrants the need for a deposit, the deposit must be paid in full before utility services are connected. Good credit for a residential customer is defined as 12 months with no more than 2 late payments.

Deposit Returns

Deposits are eligible for refunding after a customer has established good credit with the Town. Refunds are not automatic, the customer must request a refund. Refunds are applied to the utility account and any remaining credit may stay on the account to cover future charges or it may be refunded by check. If a deposit is held on an account at the time services are terminated, the deposit will be applied to the unpaid balance and a refund check issued for the remainder.