Be sure to keep the following things in mind in the case of an hurricane in order to ensure safety.
- Buy battery-powered weather radio and know your local emergency stations
- Learn meaning of watch-warning
- If in flood zone, purchase flood insurance.
- Plan to secure/evacuate mobile home for adequate shelter.
- Install storm shutters; store plywood to cover all windows.
- Remove branches, tall trees that may fall on house.
- Prior to storm season stock extra food, batteries, jug drinking water.
- Listen to designated radio/television, Emergency Alert System for emergency information/instructions.
- Move valuables to upper floors in case of flood.
- Secure/bring in outdoor furniture.
- Close permanent shutters, cover all windows with plywood (taping windows does not prevent breakage).
- If you staying at your location keep away from windows, doors, outside walls; do not open windows. Bring pets inside.
- If you are evacuating then turn off water and electricity at main stations; unplug appliances (do not touch if wet).
- Do not leave pet or pets behind; take them with you or to a preplanned safe location.
- Avoid downed wires and do not try to drive.